Easter 2016 may have come and gone, but it’s one of dozens of holidays that our customers celebrate every year. Just the words “holiday celebration” are stressful enough. They invoke visions of fattening foods, overbearing family members, a wee bit too much alcohol and potential hangovers the next day. Worst case scenario: they end in loud arguments, secrets revealed and (our worst nightmare) ruined carpets and furniture. Best case scenario (always the space that we like to operate in): they end in strengthened bonds, new friendships and a shiny, sparkling home the next day.
Because we always like to operate in the best case scenario space, we like to set you guys up for success in caring for your home during the holidays. Here are a few top of mind tips to keep your Knox Carpets flooring solution in tip-top shape, no matter what the day-
- So you’ve spotted a stain on the carpet the next day… The first thing that you need to do is to determine how recent the stain is, at what point it took place. Was it when Uncle Gary spilled the cranberry compote on the floor during one of his famous renditions of Elton John’s hits? Time to play Nancy Drew.
- If you find that the area is still damp, then you can go ahead and blot as much of the stain as possible with a dry rag. If the area is fully dried, then get out your vacuum and run it over the stain several times to remove any excess residue. You need to be hands on in this situation. If you can pick up remnants of the stain, then pick them up and throw them away.
- The next thing you need to do, for either wet or dry stains, is to blot with cool water and then immediately blot dry. Make sure that the water is not too hot or too cold, tepid works the best in these scenarios.
- Once the above steps have been completed, we suggest that you create a cleaning mixture to go the extra mile. We recommend combining ¼ teaspoon liquid dish soap and a cup of tepid water (the same temperature that you used to blot the carpet). Just to be safe, make sure that you test the mixture on a more inconspicuous corner of the rug, just to make sure that there are no adverse reactions. Now, gently apply the foam and work it in to the stain.
- Work the stain with the solution using a sponge or soft brush, using a wiping motion moving towards the epicenter of the stain.
- To remove all final traces of the stain, blot with cool water and then blot dry!
While we hope that following the steps above remove all evidence of messy holiday memories, sometimes that’s just not the case. Luckily your Knox Carpets team is well-versed in more extreme messes. Give us a call, we’ll be sure to help you sort it out.